Monday, November 24, 2014

When the perfect is the enemy of the good



Dear Christian: We have been commanded by our Lord to love our neighbors as ourselves. He didn’t follow this up with any exceptions, so we can only assume this means ALL of our neighbors, correct? So knowing this, how can we continue supporting bills, legislation and restrictions which only protect some human beings? 
https://www.facebook.com/AbolishHumanAbortion/posts/795434450522571
i) During WWII, some Catholics and Protestants, at grave personal risk, sheltered Jews from the Nazis. Famous examples include Miep Gies, Corrie ten Boom, and Hugh O'Flaherty. 
But by AHA logic, they didn't love their neighbors because they only saved the Jews they could.
ii) Suppose I'm sunning myself on the riverbank on a fine summer day. A mother and her two young boys come paddling down the river, but their canoe capsizes. The mother, a weak swimmer, can barely get herself ashore.
As for the boys, there's one of me and two of them, so I can't save them both. If I divide my efforts, I can't save either one. So I have to make a terrible choice. I rescue the one closest to me, and perform CPR. The other is carried downstream and drowns. Tragic, but unavoidable.
According to AHA, should I refrain from saving either boy unless I try futilely to save each one–thereby condemning both to death? 

3 comments:

  1. An extremely ignorant post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An extremely worthless comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many abolitionist bills, legislation, and restrictions are currently pending that AHA does support? Who are the abolitionist politicians and lawmakers that are crafting total ban policies whom AHA currently supports?

    It seems to me that AHA's approach shares some troubling parallels with Westboro Baptist's tactics.

    ReplyDelete