Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The bitter fruits of feminism


A few weeks ago I was strolling through the parking lot to check on something at the drugstore. I saw an older woman in the parking lot, holding her keys, just standing there, at a loss. It seems obvious that she had forgotten where she parked her car.

Of course, that can happen to the best of us. However, this isn't some huge, sprawling parking lot at a shopping mall, or multistory parking tower at the airport. It's a fairly compact parking lot. Not that many places to look. 

It's possible that her eyesight is bad. Maybe she has macular degeneration. But I'm guessing she was having a senior moment.

Anyway, I was going to be in and out of the drugstore in a jiffy, so I figured that would give her an extra couple of minutes to find her car on her own, if she could. If she was still there when I emerged, I'd offer assistance.

Nowadays people are so suspicious that you're sometimes hesitant to volunteer help. 

Anyway, she was gone when I came back about 2 minutes later, so I assume she found her car. 

I say all that to say this: we have a generation of younger women who don't believe in motherhood. Dogs have taken the place of kids. Likewise, live-in boyfriends have taken the place of husbands.

A lot of these independent women are going to find themselves in the situation of this woman. They will become increasingly forgetful. Lose control. And they won't have any grown children to take up the slack. Cute pet dogs won't help them in that situation. Moreover, by that time, society will be increasingly intolerant of the elderly. 

It will be too late for them to make up for lost time. They imbibed feminism. Their biological clock struck midnight. That's a lost opportunity.   

I sometimes see the elderly in motorized wheelchairs go shopping on their own. Crossing busy intersections. They are so vulnerable. Easy pickings for a mugger. They are old enough to have grown children. Where are their kids? Are they childless? Are their kids estranged? The product of broken homes?

5 comments:

  1. Hi there. I've been following your blog for a few days. I haven't dug deep enough, only read like 10 articles. I read your bio Steve.
    I really like this stuff.
    But I know that a few weeks ago, I was in a terrible place (as God intended it), and I was lamenting over my sin. One of the things I found myself crying out was "What's the point of having all this knowledge if you're not forgiven?"
    Other things I was crying about was how I might gain so much knowledge, yet it wouldn't transfer into real life, into my action. If anything, it might have a negative effect.
    I don't imply that you're like this at all. I have no idea about you guys.

    It's late at night, I don't know what to say. Basically, I'd like to know about the fruit of your lives a little more, how God has changed you.
    Sorry if that seemed really incoherent. Hope you understand. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 21 When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?” 22 Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!” (Jn 21:21-22).

      Delete
    2. What sort of lamentation are you doing? There at least two types.

      "As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us. For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death." (2 Cor 7:9-10)

      The Holy Spirit convicts us of sin through knowledge of the law. When we're confronted with the law, the old Adam in us kicks against the goads even while we are driven to despair at our own sinfulness. It isn't the law but rather it is God's love, demonstrated to us on the cross, and His sufficient payment for our sins, demonstrated in the resurrection, that produces our faith (trust).

      Knowledge puffs up but love builds up. Absent trust in Christ, "knowledge", per se, only transfers into our lives as a tool to do more sin. Knowledge may help you know what good works are but it doesn't grant the power to do them. Knowledge about repentance doesn't mean that you will do it. If you are trusting in knowledge to grant you grace then you are looking in the wrong place.

      You are a sinner and you will be until you die. It is good that you hate your sin but it is not good to trust in your own works ("transfer into life") as evidence of your justification before God. It is in Christ and what He has done for you that you will find your comfort, not your own works. He has already done everything for you. He has satisfied the demands of the law for you.

      He has promised that He will bring to completion the good work He has begun in you and His promises always come true.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete