Saturday, June 14, 2014

"Emotionally, I'm an atheist"


I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect that he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time. 
– Isaac Asimov

3 comments:

  1. I did a quick google search for the source of the quote and found that many websites have the quote but don't cite it source.

    Nevertheless I've added the quote (as unconfirmed) to my list of especially interesting atheist and agnostic quotes HERE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. According to THIS LINK (page 429)

      Asimov made the statement in the magazine Free Inquiry, Spring 1982, page 9

      So I'll add it to my blog as confirmed.

      Atheist Quotes

      Delete