Sunday, February 23, 2014

Prayers for my brother

I'd like to ask for prayers for my brother and his family. He is scheduled for surgery tomorrow for a rare cancer known as Pseudomyxoma Peritonei; and while it is not an aggressive cancer, it is a messy metastasization of a cancer of the appendix that affects the whole lower abdomen.

The surgery is a 10 hour surgery. They will basically open him up from sternum to crotch, take every organ out (and all the intestines), clean them off, scoop all the Pseudomyxoma Peritonei out of him, irrigate everything with chemo, then put him all back together. The recovery from this is difficult, but if he recovers well from this, his prognosis is excellent. But they all face a difficult couple of weeks.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds really dangerous. I'm praying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks veritas -- it is supposed to be a difficult surgery, with a difficult recovery, but the prognosis is very good.

      Delete
  2. I will be praying for him too

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pastor was diagnosed with Pseudomyxoma Peritonei in 2007. He went through the surgery/chemo and has been doing well since. He has written about the experience here: http://gracereformedbaptist.com/pastors-blog/the-jelly-belly-journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ex, thanks for passing this along -- it's an extremely rare condition -- I'll certainly be reading through this today, and certainly passing it along.

      Delete
  4. John,

    I'll pray too. Someone after morning worship mentioned this request to me having read it here.

    ReplyDelete